Sunday, October 8, 2017

EDpuzzle or PlayPosit: Which Should I Use?

Some of my post popular posts have been those in which I compare two or three similar tools to help others decide which one to use. My conclusion is almost always the same: all tools offer a great variety of features and which one someone chooses ultimately is probably determined by which feature is most important.

I have been using both EDpuzzle and PlayPosit (fka EduCanon) for several years. My school purchased a school license for PlayPosit this year and I have been developing some professional development materials for our staff. This renewed work in PlayPosit has catalyzed one of these comparison posts.

If you have never used either tool, EDpuzzle and PlayPosit are both tools that allow users to embed interactive components into videos. In both tools, students will be faced with questions that they must answer in order to continue with the video. Videos can be watched individually or as a class. Teachers can create classes and assign videos. Then they can monitor student progress as students respond to questions.

Below is a chart where I compare the two tools:



If you are interested in specific features I did not showcase here, check out the EDpuzzle FAQs here or the PlayPosit FAQs here

Ordinarily, my conclusion is that the compared tools are both great and should be chosen based on what features are desired. With EDpuzzle and PlayPosit, I am going to take a slightly different position. If you are looking for a free tool, EDpuzzle is the way to go. It has a slight advantage in that you can send students to a weblink from inside a video as part of their standard free package. They also offer apps for iOS, Android, and Chrome. If you have a little extra to spend, though, PlayPosit offers so many bells and whistles to the $144/year Master Teacher package that you will easily get your money's worth if you use a lot of videos.

4 comments:

  1. Thank You Thank You Thank You!!!!!! This blog post really made my decision easier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog does not mention one factor that was a deal breaker for my team. With Edpuzzle for each time a student wishes to retake/redo and activity you have to manually allow it. With Playposit you can set it up so that they have unlimited retakes. We are using the tool for listening comprehension in a second language so they need to be able to repeat several times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PlayPosit free account doesn't allow to upload your own videos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the chart! I have trouble with playposit because if the student overlooked the answer the first time, playposit makes them submit an answer before being able to rewind :o( . Then they can't change the answer after they see it!

    ReplyDelete