Sunday, February 10, 2019

A Google Docs Flipbook Template

 Several years ago I did some work with the Ohio Department of Education to role out new science content standards. As part of that work, I led workshops where teachers completed an inquiry experiment using a flipbook to organize the work. I have always loved that flipbook, but it is a Word file that I have wanted to update for some time. This week I finally did and I am pleased to share it with you.

The flipbook template is designed to be used with a science inquiry process with the 5 Es. Each of the Es has its own page with some suggested tasks to go with each one. I used it this week with an experiment designed for fifth graders. Students use a hunk of Hot Wheels track and a car to create an experiment where they might, for example, increase a pulling force and measure the change in the speed of the car. 

Once you print and copy the pages of the flipbook, staple it twice at the top where indicated. Then cut off the bottom section as indicated on each sheet. This will leave you with a waterfall-style book with tabs at the bottom to help keep your students organized. 

The pages are designed to be pretty generic so they could fit any experiment. If you make a copy of the template, you can, of course, edit any of the pages you like. You could create a custom template to fit your science experiments. Or change the topic of the pages to whatever fits your content.

I hope you get some good use out of this template. I'd love to see what you create, so please share your ideas.

1 comment: