Sunday, April 19, 2015

Get Ready for Quizzes with Quizizz

On Friday, during our 5 minute class change between second and third periods, I saw a tweet about a tool called Quizizz that I hadn't heard of.  Intrigued, and still during the class change, I quickly searched and read about the tool.  It was one of the fastest and easiest tools to use I have ever tried; my third period class played it at the beginning of class.

Press the green Get Started button to do just that.  I searched for quizzes about the topic I was quizzing on Friday, acid and base theories.  I found several that, when previewing the questions, looked like the right content, but you can also write your own quizzes.  I  clicked on the title of the quiz and arrived at a screen where you can play the quiz or duplicate it to make changes to the questions.  If you press Play, you have a chance to add or remove 5 features -- jumble the order of the questions, show the leaderboard, show answers at the end, time the questions, and show memes after kids answer.  Press proceed, give your class a join code and the game is on.

As my students joined the quiz, they were assigned a little monster icon.  From my screen, I could see who had joined.  Playing this interactive quiz game is a little like Kahoot!  Depending on the features you enable, kids answer questions and score points based on the correctness of their response and how quickly they give it.  They can run out of time and lose the opportunity to answer too.  My students thought the memes that pop up after correct and incorrect answers were really funny.  While the game is on, I couldn't see how everyone was doing individually, but I could see a tally of right and wrong answers, so I had a sense of how the class was doing as a whole.  After the game, I saw a chart that showed how each student did on each question.



I did all of that - find it, learn about it, and use the tool - in about ten minutes.  Our game lasted another five or ten minutes.  Two of my classes played on their phones, but one class elected to use the web browser on our iPads.  Any web-enabled device would work.  I didn't need an account to launch a game or search.  Quizzes are tagged with keywords and grade levels to make them easy to search.  My students and I liked the tool so much that I created an account and will make a quiz this week and try it again.  If you're looking for a fun and easy content-review or formative assessment tool, Quizizz is worth a look!

2 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I'm Deepak, one of the founders of Quizizz. Thank you so much for this great post! I'm so glad that you and your class liked Quizizz. We're just getting started, and are working on some great new features.
    Please do reach out to us if you have any suggestions or feedback, we'd love to hear from you!

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete